Ever since iOS 11.2 was released, we have found that many ifolks are getting stuck with pending Apple pay setup messages on their iPhone. Once you have downloaded the new iOS update and start installing the software, it wants you to set up Apple Pay in order to complete the setup. If you ignore setting up Apple pay during the upgrade, there is a red notification on your settings screen that you cant seem to get rid off!
You don’t have to set up Apple Pay on your iPhone if you don’t want to use it. You can bypass the Apple pay notification after setup by simply following through a few more steps.
How-To Bypass/Ignore Apple Pay Setup notification during iOS Upgrade
- Once you have updated your iPhone to the latest iOS, you will see the Apple pay warning if you bypassed it during the setup right on your Settings screen.
- Tap on ‘Finish Setting up your iPhone’
- At this point a message will pop up requiring you to add the password for your Apple ID.
- Enter your password here and instead of tapping on ‘Done’, tap on ‘Cancel’
- That’s it. This should remove the pending setup notification from your iPhone.
- At a later point, if you do decide to go the Apple Pay route, you can go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay and can start the setup process for enabling this feature on your device.
This was driving me insane for days after the iOS update on one of my iPhones. It can be annoying when a notification continues to remind you that there is something wrong in the setup because you are not using an Apple provided feature that is optional. We hope Apple drops this in future iOS releases, so that users don’t have to go in and explicitly opt-out of something to make their setup kosher.
We hope that this quick tip was helpful! Not sure if this will continue to work with future iOS upgrades but for now the workaround is working and the annoying notification can be removed without requiring you to actually set up Apple Pay on your iPhone.
Please let us know in the comments below if you have any questions or comments.